I am getting letters from a lawyer that has been buying out from collectors on me and i am total disbabled

Asked over 1 year ago - Beaver Falls, PA

THIS SMALL LAW FIRM IN .BALTIMORE MD WE NEED HELP PLEASE HE IS GOING DOWN THE LIST ON THE SMALL CRIDIT CARD DEBTS WE ARE A FAMILY OF FIVE ON $1443 MONTHLY SSD DEPOSITS IS THERE LAWS TO KEEP THEM FROM US THEY ARE IN MD. WE HAD TO MOVE TO PA I AM ON I CN TAKE IT ANYMORE

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . There is no law preventing a person from purchasing debt that you accrued. You do, however, have the right tell the attorney/collector in writing that he/she is no longer permitted to call or write to you at home, and that if he continues to do so, you will file suit against him under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You may want to familiarize yourself with the provisions of that statute - http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-... - before sending the letter.

2. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

Answered . Also, you might want to check with a local consumer protection attorney, but generally SSD is not garnishable income. You can also check with your state's Attorney General if they have a consumer protection division. They may be able to help you. There is a lot of information out on the internet about dealing with debt collectors. Google Bud Hibbs. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.