I am getting charged with a Drug DUI with a blood result .20mg oxycottin. How would this be handled differently from Alcohol.

Asked over 1 year ago - Burien, WA

I got pulled over because the officer said I was going 59 in a 50 when I had my car set on cruse control? He makes a brief statement saying that my thinking process is slow, so he asks me to do a sobriety test and didn't do so good I guess cause it was freezing and made me take my heels off so I was barefoot. What the officer also didn't consider was I have Mental Problems for my slow thinking and slow learner. I get handcuffed and put in the back of the police car, He didn't give me a evaluation and takes me straight to the hospital to draw my blood. After he was going to let me go he decides to keep me because I have a baby father who was on Washingtons Most Wanted. I get questioned about his where a bout and they told me I would go to jail if I don't tell. But never had a option.

1. Vitaliy Kertchen

Pro

9

Answered . With alcohol, there is a presumption limit of .08. With a blood test due to drugs, there is no presumptive limit, which means you have more leeway to argue your case. The State will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your ability to operate a motor vehicle was affected.

Hire a lawyer immediately.

2. James J White

Pro

6

Answered . Are you prescribed oxy? Was that a regular dose of oxy for you? Why dis the Officer stop you? Consult with a DUI lawyer as soon as you are able.

3. Damian Salomon Mendez

4

Answered . The DUI would not be different. You may have several defenses based on the facts that you are indicating. You should call a DUI lawyer. Most of us have a free initial consultation.

4. James C Forslund

5

Answered . It will not be handled differently than alcohol, if WA law is similar to CO. Impairment is the issue whether by drugs or alcohol.

5. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

3

Answered . Contact a local attorney and he/she will help you. You live a long ways from me so I know you can find an experienced criminal defense attorney from there. Good Luck