I am getting a divorce in Alabama. Can I go to another state like Tennessee and remarry before the 60 day waiting period is up?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hayden, AL

Alabama has a 60 day waiting period before you can remarry after a divorce is final. I want to go to Tennessee to remarry before the 60 days is up. Will this be legal?

1. Glenn S. Doyle

1

Answered . As your question is directed at states other than Alabama, I can tell North Carolina has no waiting period in order to re-marry after a divorce.

On the other hand, it makes sense to wait as a divorce judgment can be appealed or attacked in most states after its entered. Unless you have a very good reason, the safe bet would be to play by the rules in your state.

You most certainly should consult with an attorney before acting as well.

Good luck

2. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

Answered . No, you must wait until at least the status of you and your spouse have been restored to the status of single persons. Good luck with your anticipated new marriage and I hope that it works out for a life of happiness.

Best of luck and I hope this information was a HELPFUL ANSWER if not the BEST ANSWER.