I am getting a divorce in Alabama. Can I go to another state like Tennessee and remarry before the 60 day waiting period is up?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hayden, AL

Alabama has a 60 day waiting period before you can remarry after a divorce is final. I want to go to Tennessee to remarry before the 60 days is up. Will this be legal?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Glenn S. Doyle

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As your question is directed at states other than Alabama, I can tell North Carolina has no waiting period in order to re-marry after a divorce.

    On the other hand, it makes sense to wait as a divorce judgment can be appealed or attacked in most states after its entered. Unless you have a very good reason, the safe bet would be to play by the rules in your state.

    You most certainly should consult with an attorney before acting as well.

    Good luck

    The information contained in this response is general information and is not legal advice. For more info, see www.... more
  2. Daniel Seth Williams


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . No, you must wait until at least the status of you and your spouse have been restored to the status of single persons. Good luck with your anticipated new marriage and I hope that it works out for a life of happiness.

    Best of luck and I hope this information was a HELPFUL ANSWER if not the BEST ANSWER.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,058 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,058 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering