I am getting a divorce in Alabama. Can I go to another state like Tennessee and remarry before the 60 day waiting period is up?

Hayden, AL |
Filed under: Divorce

Alabama has a 60 day waiting period before you can remarry after a divorce is final. I want to go to Tennessee to remarry before the 60 days is up. Will this be legal?

As your question is directed at states other than Alabama, I can tell North Carolina has no waiting period in order to re-marry after a divorce.

On the other hand, it makes sense to wait as a divorce judgment can be appealed or attacked in most states after its entered. Unless you have a very good reason, the safe bet would be to play by the rules in your state.

You most certainly should consult with an attorney before acting as well.

Good luck

The information contained in this response is general information and is not legal advice. For more info, see www.doyledoylelaw.com. Nothing contained in this response should be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the reader. An attorney-client relationship may only be created by express representation agreement between Glenn Doyle of Doyle & Doyle, PA and Client.

No, you must wait until at least the status of you and your spouse have been restored to the status of single persons. Good luck with your anticipated new marriage and I hope that it works out for a life of happiness.

Best of luck and I hope this information was a HELPFUL ANSWER if not the BEST ANSWER.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX