Skip to main content

I am getting a Divorce the court date is Aug.1st. . Is my marriage legal if she has a husband in Indiana and

Ocala, FL |
Filed under: Divorce Bigamy

had the same one before we got married 7 years ago?

Attorney Answers 3


If she was married to someone else when she married you then she was not legally marrying you, but you still have to go to court to undo it.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


It sure sounds like your wife may have committed bigamy. You will have to go to court to get out of this marriage. Consult with a local Florida attorney to help you with this process. I am an attorney licensed in CA and MD, not FL, so this is general information only, not legal advice.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with Heather. As a practical matter, there is no handbook for victims of bigamy. However, it would seem that the best way to extricate yourself from the problem would be to file for divorce and recite what happened and ask for the same relief to be granted to you so that the State of Florida and other agencies, etc. is able to properly track your status and not have you linked up to this criminal. Good luck!

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics