I am filling out the I-864 for my wife. I live with my stepfather, who will sponsor her. Does he need to...

I am filling out the I-864 for my wife. I live with my stepfather, who will sponsor her. Do I need to fill out one I-864 as a petitioner, and he fills out another I-864 as an sponsor? So in total I would submit both I-864 (in conjunction with the other documents, I-130 & G-1145). OR, since I live with him, I only have to fill out one form for him? Thank you and best regards, P.

Greenville, SC -

Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova

Immigration Attorney - Marlton, NJ

You fill out I-864 as the petitioner and your stepfather fills out I-864 as the 1st and only joint sponsor. I-864A is for household members who are related.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
Joseph Gerard Cella

Joseph Gerard Cella

Immigration Attorney - Clifton, NJ

Based upon the information you have provided, you should fill out I-864 as the petitioner even though you don't appear to earn enough, and your stepfather should fill out an I-864 as the only joint sponsor.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

You fill it out, and he fills out as sponsor