I am filling out a US Affidavit of Support for my Canadian husband.. I just got a job, (June) does that show enough support?

Boston, MA |

I have lived in Canada as a visitor while my waiting on my husbands visa. Since he has a good job I have not worked. Recently he was told he would be transfered to the states with his company when his visa is done. I am going to go ahead and move back to the states for a job. Since I am starting in the middle of the year, do I still need a co-signer for the support? I will meet the minimum requierments by December.

I also met the requirements for the 2011 tax year.

1. Usually USCIS will look at the last tax year (2011) and if you have met the requirements for 2011 and currently have a job you may be OK. However if the case is adjudicated next year you will also have to meet the requirements for 2012.

Karen Weinstock
    Managing Attorney
    Siskind Susser P.C. Atlanta
    404-935-0044

2. You will need to qualify at the time of his interview at the consulate. So, if it happens soon, you will show your 2011 tax returns.

You should line up a co-sponsor just in case you need one.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. You may be able to use your husband's income alone as your household income, and without needing a co-sponsor if his income is high enough to meet the income guidelines and he is the only intending immigrant you are sponsoring.