I am filing chapter 7, however lied on my cc applications. What could happen to me? I am on a fixed income and own nothing.

Paso Robles, CA |

I owe 20s

Lied on your loan application? Depending upon what kind of lie, IF the creditor files an objection to discharge, that debt will not be discharged but the rest will be. BE SURE to tell your attorney about this lie. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Probably nothing. The worst that might happen is that you might not receive a discharge of certain debts where the credit card company thinks it worth it to file an objection, prove your fraud, and demonstrate that they relied on your lie to issue the card. This is a heavy burden; and you can usually settle those objections for about half of what you owe.

For one thing, you may now have waived your fifth amendment privilege in any criminal prosecution or non-dischargeability proceeding that might eventuate. Only a California criminal defense lawyer can assess the likelihood that you would ever be prosecuted, but it's silly to post an online confession to a crime! For anyone else who's reading this thread, if you're going to post a question online, be smart enough to phrase it hypothetically -- i.e., "suppose it were to be found that my statements on credit card applications were untruthful..."