I am filing bankruptcy in California. Is there a process I need to do before using the #2 homestead exemption?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Walnut, CA

My home has negative value, but I want to have exemption value for other properties. Also, do I list it as asset with minus value?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to list all assets (including real estate) describing their value and identifying any secured claims against those assets. If it turns out that your property is worth less than what you owe the schedules will show as such. Since you mention that you "want to have exemption value for other properties" please note that California's homestead exemption only applies to your residence.

    This answer is NOT intended to create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only. I concur with the attorney from Houston in that you should seek the advice of a bankruptcy lawyer. If you get this wrong it can have significant consequences.

    The answers provided herein are meant to be generic in nature and not to respond directly to a particular question.... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You choose which set of exemptions to use ... 703 or 704 - you cannot mix and match. You list your property on your schedules and exempt the property you want to keep/protect on Schedule C. No process. Just list the exemption next to the property on Schedule C that supports your exemption. Again do not mix and match. If you choose 703 set #1 as I call them, you cannot cherry pick from 704, and vice versa. Good luck.

  3. Answered . I'm guessing by "#2 exemption" you're talking about Section 703's exemptions. 703 is the most exemption-friendly scheme, and gives you what is called the "wildcard" exemption, which is basically $24,000 to throw at any property which doesn't have it's own exemption code already. The condensed explanation is that, in order to use 703, you're house has to have no more than 24-ish-K in equity. You take the 24k "wildcard," use whatever you need to in order to exempt the equity in your home, and whatever is left over you can just go hog-wild with. In your case, since there is no equity in the home, you'd get the full 24-ish-K of exemption to use on whatever.

    To the second question, yes. You list every asset. /EVERY/ asset. What you'll do with the house is list the home's value, then the value of all the liens against it. I'd recommend finding an attorney to help you out with the paperwork, but that's your answer in a nutshell.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can list it this way to show no value, I suggest to hire an bk attorney to help you with this.

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a form of bankruptcy where your debts are canceled, but some of your assets are sold to pay off part of your debt.

Stephen M. Dunne

What is Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy wipes out ("discharges") your debts. Chapter 7 is the bankruptcy provision most frequently used by individuals. It involves the complete liquidation of a debtor's... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,355 answers this week

3,908 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,355 answers this week

3,908 attorneys answering