Skip to main content

I am facing up to 4 to 15 years in jail because I was involved in a burglary at a nearby school. This is my firts offense,

Jersey City, NJ |

This is my first offense, absolutely no priors. I got a I-Bond in court and since then I have stayed out of trouble and I even enrolled in school to ensure the judge that I want to better myself and be there for my daughter. Do you think that I might be eligible for probation as an alternative to jail time?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Your question is confusing. If its a first offense you are eligible for probation. More detail is needed to offer you specific advice. You need a lawyer. Hire one as soon as you can

  2. I agree with attorney Mark. This sounds like a serious charge with serious potential consequences. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.

  3. If this is your first offense you may have a chance of avoiding jail. I agree you will need an attorney for this one.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  4. Your question does not state what degree you are charged with. Is it 3rd degree or 2nd degree? If it is 3rd degree, and you have no record, there is no presumption of jail/prison. If it is 2nd degree, there is a presumption of prison. However, just because you are charged with a crime that carries a presumption of prison, it does not necessarily mean you are going to go to prison. You may have certain defenses and/or mitigating reasons that can keep you out of prison. You should contact an attorney immediately.

  5. NJ does not have a crime with a 4-15 year sentence. Nor I-Bonds. If this is out of state or federal you need to speak to an out of state attorney or an attorney who is familiar with federal criminal law . Burglary in NJ is at most 2nd degree with a 10 year max. It usually is 3rd degree and on a first offense usually PTI is available. But this sounds like out of state offenses or federal.

  6. You should discuss your options with an attorney in person and confidentially your options on how your case can get resolved. Many criminal cases are fact sensitive and each situation is different. If you want to discuss it privately try scheduling a consultation with one of us prior to your next court date.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics