I am engaged to be married this year, and my soon to be husband has 6 real estate properties in his name and his name alone.

Miamisburg, OH |

Is it in my best interest to put my name on these properties once we are married? Not just for legal purposes, but thinking down the road when we start a family and children are in the picture.

1. This is something you need to discuss with your fiance. There are many business as well as personal implications to ownership of multiple pieces of real estate. You may need to have a pre-nuptial agreement. You may need business organization. Either way, you should discuss your options with one or more attorneys.

2. I agree with counsel regarding talking with your fiance and counsel. In addition, just because you're married doesn't mean you'll automatically get to "put your name on" properties that belonged only to him before your marriage.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

3. In Ohio, you have certain rights called dower rights to all real property owned by him before the marriage. This generally means that he cannot sell or convey the properties without your signature on the deed. I am thinking that the properties - or most of them may be rental properties and if this is the case, your fiance should contact a lawyer immediately to see what he can do to best protect himself, you and your personal assets.

I am an Ohio-licensed attorney. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting me does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised. kmatre@matrelaw.com

Marriage and prenups topics