I am doing an adverse possession the property that is abandoned construction how do I get permit to do upkeep like the law said

Asked over 1 year ago - Lehigh Acres, FL

I need to get permit so I can do work on the house but the to put the septic and the well the deed or title is not in my name so how can I permit. can I to a quiet title by adverse possession it as not been 7yr is there a way around it

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You have to make a declaration with the tax collector that you will be paying the taxes, and you must take possession of the property to the exclusion of the actual owner. It takes seven consecutive years of adverse possession to become the owner of the property. If the current owner comes in any time during the seven year period, that owner can have you thrown off the property. If your are unsure of your rights, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

2. Carol Anne Johnson

Answered . You cannot legally get around the municipal requirement for permits. If you do not follow all the steps for the adverse possession (which are quite a few), including the filing of the proper documents with the tax collector, then you may find yourself being considered (and treated as) a trespasser.