Skip to main content

I am divorced, I dont want to deal with husband anymore. Can my mom adopt my 6 month girl and split custody with ex husband?

Kent, WA |

Divorced in Texas, moved to Wa for jobs. Let my grandma take care of them for last six months. I cant stand my ex husband and I am not financially well off to take care of a girl, can my mom adopt her and split the custody with my ex husband? or do I sign over my parental rights to my mom?

Attorney Answers 3


You would need the biological Father;s consent. Lots of complex issues here that cannot be resolved on-line. Please schedule an appointment with a family law attorney to discuss options.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It is possible but you need to visit a family law attorney in person to discuss this matter in greater detail and all the options available to you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Welcome to parenthood. My advice is to stop focusing on your anger toward your ex-husband and expecting your mom to take care of your problems. I'm glad your mom can help, but that is a temporary, not a permanent solution. Draft a plan for how you are going to provide for your child, because that is the most important chore in your life for the next 18 years or so. It's not about you anymore.

If we do not have a written attorney-client agreement: I am not your lawyer; you are not my client; this is not legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics