I am disabled. Will my wife have to pay alimony?

Janesville, WI |

She left the marriage, refuses to return home, reconcile. She is living with her high school boyfriend, who is supporting her a little. I am disabled (2 disabilities), cannot work and am recieving long term disability benefits. I live in WI. Been married 26 years.

She works as a customer service supervisor part time. Prior to this she sold cars, making between 60-80 thousand dollars a year.

1. You need to consult with a family law lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your rights. It sounds like you may have a good case for maintenance (alimony). Consult with a local family law lawyer to assist you. Good luck.

2. You need to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Everything depends upon the amount you are receiving as taxable and non taxable disability benefits. It also depends upon her reasons why she would not be working to her potential. An other consideration would be whether maintenance mat cause you to loose some of your benefits, depending upon the type you are receiving.