I am disabled. Will my wife have to pay alimony?

Asked over 1 year ago - Janesville, WI

She left the marriage, refuses to return home, reconcile. She is living with her high school boyfriend, who is supporting her a little. I am disabled (2 disabilities), cannot work and am recieving long term disability benefits. I live in WI. Been married 26 years.

Additional information

She works as a customer service supervisor part time. Prior to this she sold cars, making between 60-80 thousand dollars a year.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jason Todd Studinski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to consult with a family law lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your rights. It sounds like you may have a good case for maintenance (alimony). Consult with a local family law lawyer to assist you. Good luck.

  2. Jane E Probst


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You need to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Everything depends upon the amount you are receiving as taxable and non taxable disability benefits. It also depends upon her reasons why she would not be working to her potential. An other consideration would be whether maintenance mat cause you to loose some of your benefits, depending upon the type you are receiving.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,173 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,173 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering