Skip to main content

I am defending myself against criminal charges from multiple victims. By NJ law shouldn't it be severed by separated trials?

Pleasantville, NJ |

We are about to put the motion to sever the case, due to multiple victims involved. And each victim reported incident on separate date, so by forcing this motion to sever, is it going to happen or not? In NJ Judiciary Rules its says it should be separated because of different dates. I hope you can answer this question. What does it takes for lawyer to argue this matter?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Wow -- judges have the discretion to bifurcate. Defending yourself here without counsel is like a doctor operating on himself -- not a good idea.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  2. You need an attorney. A lawyer cannot just enter for one motion.

  3. That sort of issue is a lot more complicated than you seem to think. As I am sure you know, you have a constitutional right to represent yourself. If you want to be convicted you should continue to exercise that right.

  4. You need to hire or apply for an attorney. No attorney charged with criminal charges would represent himself even if that was his specialty. It is like operating on yourself. Not a good idea. You need to take this more seriously and recognize the major implications if you are convicted.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

  5. You should use a lawyer for this. It's going to get you a better result than the most eloquent law professor attempting to explain the law to you here on Avvo.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

  6. Being represented by an attorney is the prudent thing to do. Convictions of criminal charges carry with it potentially devastating consequences, including jail, probation, and possibly community services depending on the charge(s) you are facing. You should at the very least schedule a consultation in person with an attorney who can advise you how to proceed based on the facts and circumstances specific to your case.

    You're not likely to receive a direct answer to your question on this forum other than general information unless you actually retain an attorney to represent you or have one appointed to represent you if you qualify economically. Based on what you say that you're facing multiple criminal charges, representing yourself will likely do far more harm than good. While you're free to do so, it would be highly inadvisable to handle this matter without an attorney to represent you. Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

  7. No simple answer. Depends on many variables. I would strongly suggest you retain counsel or apply for a public defender. You should NOT be defending yourself..........

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact The Law Offices of Howard D. Popper and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Thank You. Law Offices of Howard D. Popper, PC.

  8. You need an attorney. A lawyer cannot just enter for one motion. We do not do "piece work." The success of the motion depends on many factors. It is a lot more complicated than you seem to think. If you cannot afford a private attorney, apply for the Public Defender.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics