I am defending myself against criminal charges from multiple victims. By NJ law shouldn't it be severed by separated trials?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pleasantville, NJ

We are about to put the motion to sever the case, due to multiple victims involved. And each victim reported incident on separate date, so by forcing this motion to sever, is it going to happen or not? In NJ Judiciary Rules its says it should be separated because of different dates. I hope you can answer this question. What does it takes for lawyer to argue this matter?

1. Mark M Cheser

7

Answered . You need an attorney. A lawyer cannot just enter for one motion.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

8

Answered . Wow -- judges have the discretion to bifurcate. Defending yourself here without counsel is like a doctor operating on himself -- not a good idea.

3. Joshua Sachs

7

Answered . That sort of issue is a lot more complicated than you seem to think. As I am sure you know, you have a constitutional right to represent yourself. If you want to be convicted you should continue to exercise that right.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

7

Answered . You need to hire or apply for an attorney. No attorney charged with criminal charges would represent himself even if that was his specialty. It is like operating on yourself. Not a good idea. You need to take this more seriously and recognize the major implications if you are convicted.

5. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

5

Answered . Being represented by an attorney is the prudent thing to do. Convictions of criminal charges carry with it potentially devastating consequences, including jail, probation, and possibly community services depending on the charge(s) you are facing. You should at the very least schedule a consultation in person with an attorney who can advise you how to proceed based on the facts and circumstances specific to your case.

You're not likely to receive a direct answer to your question on this forum other than general information unless you actually retain an attorney to represent you or have one appointed to represent you if you qualify economically. Based on what you say that you're facing multiple criminal charges, representing yourself will likely do far more harm than good. While you're free to do so, it would be highly inadvisable to handle this matter without an attorney to represent you. Good luck.

6. Howard D Popper

Pro

4

Answered . No simple answer. Depends on many variables. I would strongly suggest you retain counsel or apply for a public defender. You should NOT be defending yourself..........

7. Dean P Murray

3

Answered . You should use a lawyer for this. It's going to get you a better result than the most eloquent law professor attempting to explain the law to you here on Avvo.

8. James P Brady

2

Answered . You need an attorney. A lawyer cannot just enter for one motion. We do not do "piece work." The success of the motion depends on many factors. It is a lot more complicated than you seem to think. If you cannot afford a private attorney, apply for the Public Defender.