I am currently on felony probation for a DWI 3rd and was just arrested for a DWI 4th in a different county.

Asked over 4 years ago - Dallas, TX

I have also completed probation for a assault w/ bodily injury also alcohol related in 2005.
1) Should I use a different attorney for each county? One for probation revocation in Dallas county and one for DWI 4th in Van Zandt county.
2) Can I avoid any serious jail time with the probation violation by enrolling myself in an alcohol rehab program? My original sentence was 5 yrs probation or two years in prison.

1. Theresa Cay Langford

1

Answered . There are pros and cons to your question. Often in a small town, it is better to at least have a local attorney as representative. Ideally, you should have one attorney that is handling both matter; but if your primary attorney is not from Van Zandt, then have your attorney hire local counsel.

2. Gene Raymond Beaty

1

Answered . Hire the best DWI attorney you can afford, which is more likely to be in Dallas county. Some attorneys practice in both counties and even if your attorney doesn't, selecting the lead attorney is the first priority. Make sure that your primary attorney is willing and able to assist you by managing or at least having a big say in the costs and strategy of the other county. In selecting your attorney, be sure that the attorney has considerable experience in felony DWI cases-other felonies are too different. Moreover, be sure your attorney has experience working with DWI rehab services, which are stronger in Dallas, but not particularly strong for felonies in either county.