I am currently on F1 status. Will start OPT in Jan'15. I was previously on J1 with 2yr home req. How I will get H1 after my OPT?

Asked 10 months ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I studied 4 month exchange program in US on J1 visa subject to 2-year home req. I went back to home country and stay there for 8.5 months and came back on F1. I will graduate in Dec'14 and my F1 visa is valid till Aug'17. I will do OPT from Jan'15 to Dec'15. How I can extend my work status to H1 after OPT. Do I have to get J1 waiver or not? Do I need another visa and have to go back to home country to get H1 and is it necessary for me to do that? Is it necessary for me to get J1 waiver?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . You will ask your employer this question in all honesty so that they know before they decide to offer you a position.

2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

1

Answered . You will need to either complete the remaining portion of your two years foreign residence requirement in your home country or you will need to obtain a waiver. There are different types of waivers available and which one is best for you will depend upon the facts of your case. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and recommend an appropriate course of action.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

1

Answered . From the facts you have presented, you appear need either a waiver, or to go home for 15.5 months.