Skip to main content

I am currently in US on a L1 visa with Co. A but another company has interviewed me while in US and agreed to sponsor H1B visa.

Woodstock, GA |

1) Is it illegal to have attended the interview while on a L1 visa?

2) Will I be allowed to change visa while in US or do I need to go back to my home country for Co. B to apply a H1 B visa.

Attorney Answers 3


No, it is certainly not unlawful to be interviewed by another employer. You can change your status to H-1B without leaving the U.S. Please see

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


It is not illegal to attend the interview

You can change to company B without leaving the country.

You are welcome to contact me via link provided if you would like legal presentation.


Mark as helpful


Congratulations upon having two employers wishing to employ you. In general, a person who enters the U.S. an an intracompany transferee visa (L-1) with the intention of working for that company, and who later explores other employment opportunities, may indeed become hired by another company. While remaining in valid L-1 status, the employee may become the subject of a new H-1B visa, and may complete this "change of status" within the U.S.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345
404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics