I am constantly, an average of once a week,getting calls from creditors wanting to set up payment arrangements on very old bills

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

Unfortunately none of them will work with me and negotiate to smaller payments. Some of them want payments every payday and others just once a month. I am considering going with a debt consolidation company (Care One to be exact). Do you think this is a good idea or are these companies just rip offs? Please advise.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . Look for information about the Statute of Limitations right away! By paying or promising to pay old debts, you may be shooting yourself in the foot by reactivating a debt that isn't collectable now. Debt consolidation companies are not attorneys and cannot provide you with legal advice about the defenses you may have that would allow you to pay these creditors nothing at all! Hope this perspective helps!

2. Michael Ferrin

Pro

Answered . First make sure to check and see if the statute of limitations has run on the debt. Second I do not recommend using a debt consolidation company. I would recommend meeting with a bankruptcy attorney in your area to go over your options. Many people think that bankruptcy is an awful thing and will often seek the advise of a bankruptcy attorney as a last resort when in fact they should have consulted with one at the onset of the problem. Many attorneys offer free consultations and you may be surprised of what a bankruptcy can do.

Michael Ferrin, Esq.
    Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law P.A.
    1214 E. Livingston St
    Orlando, FL 32803
    Phone (407)-412-7041
    Fax (407)-802-2283

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

3. Paula Brown Sinclair

1

Answered . Ms. Bunce make an excellent point. Without accurate information regarding your legal obligation on the old debts, you are not sufficiently prepared to make payment arrangements in you own best interests. If debt management assistance becomes necessary you will be better served by a truly non-profit agency (not just the one who advertise on TV to be non-profit. For accurate information on local resources you are lucky to have the excellent Jacksonville Area Legal Aid office.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.