Skip to main content

I am considering filing for a divorce. What can I expect during the process?

Gainesville, GA |

Both of us have grown apart. We've been married for almost twenty years. We have three children: 15 13, and 7. We have a mobile home together and two other bills together. Both cars are in my name. I have a few personal bills and she does too. We both work. I can't track her income. She is never around me or the kids. She is either working 14-20 hours a day or she is hiding out in our bedroom. She acts like she does not want to remain married. I have found e-mails and text messages that suggest she wants other men in her life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless you and she work out how teh case will go before it starts, you will face an emotionally and legally difficult confrontation in court that can include mediation and trial, where issues including support, custody, visitation, division of assets and debts, alimony, parenting plan, insurance etc get decided. The one thing that is always certain will be that it will go better with a lawyer than without one.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


What you can expect has a great deal to do with what you are looking for. A divorce cannot be granted without resolving all issues. Those are custody, parenting time, support, division of marital property and debts, and the who lives where. Those can be resolved by agreement, mediation, or by trial, but they must be resolved before the divorce is granted.
You need to retain an experienced divorce attorney, and be prepared to discuss all of the above issues, and how you would like for them to be resolved.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.


Unless both you and your spouse are diplomatic, reasonable, cooperative, and sensible, you can expect that the divorce will take longer and cost more than you think it should. Do everything you can to compromise and achieve an out-of-court settlement.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer