I am confused and not sure which form is appropriate for AOS. I-864 or I-864 EZ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bridgeton, NJ

I am not sure which AOS form I should complete for my spouse because she is the only person I have filed a petition and 2013 Poverty Guidelines indicates that for a household of two the minimum income must be $19,387. In addition, I-864 EZ instructions sheet states that to qualify as a sponsor I must demonstrate that I have an income of at least 125 percent of the current Federal poverty guideline for my household size; yet, my last three years' annual income has been below the Poverty Guidelines and I-864 EZ instructions sheet does not state if I should continue completing the form or using a different form, such as I-864, instead.

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . I always use the 864, but if you do not meet the income requirements it does not matter which form you use because you cannot be the sponsor on your own. You will need a joint sponsor or a second job. This is one of those times where consulting with a lawyer before you file something that gets your case denied is a good idea.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds like you need the full I-864 ... and possibly a joint-sponsor.

PS You can never go wrong by doing the full I-864 ... which we always use. The EZ isn't all that easy.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If you do not meet the income requirements, then as stated in the instructions you read, you cannot use the I-864EZ and must therefore use the I-864.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.