Skip to main content

I am condo owner and need a community association law attorney.

Kissimmee, FL |

Long story short association is trying to collect on old debt they waved their right to passed the five years sol to collect on. I did nothing to toll the statute. They placed a lien anyway for assessments dating back to feb 2007, they let that lien expire. The debt by waiver, sol and expiration is extinguished. They have not filed a new lien for current assessments and they are threatening to foreclose on the lien that they let expire. They have not filed a foreclosure yet. I want to sue for slander of title and fdcpa because I do not owe them for that old debt anymore. Please let me know if anyone deals with this type of law and what can be done. Im thinking if they try to foreclose I can put in counterclaims. Thank you for your time.

Attorney Answers 3


Try AVVO's "find a lawyer" search tool and speak with an attorney with expertise in foreclosure and condo association law.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You have posted this several times. While the association may not be able to foreclose on the lien they have already filed, all they have to do is file a new lien and it can go back five years from the date they are filing. The association has not waived any right to collect the debt by foreclosing. They have waived the right to collect any monthly assessment that is more than five years old, but not all assessments. Each monthly assessment is a new debt. If they file a lien today, they can collect assessments going back to December 2008.

You do not have a case for slander of title or FDCPA. FDCPA does not apply to creditors. It applies only to third party collectors. The association is not a third party. Slander of title requires publication to a third party and damages.

There is no defense to non-payment of assessments to an association. Just because you did not pay assessments for more than five years does not mean you never have to pay assessments again. You need to work out a payment plan with your association or consider a chapter 13 bankruptcy to allow you to pay the past due assessments over a 5-year period.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


You are obligated to pay the assessments on the unit you own. If you do not pay, you are breaking your promises and cheating the association and your fellow residents. You apparently think you can get out of your legal obligation with blue smoke and mirrors. The law doesn't work that way. Pay the assessments that you owe.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



Really that's the advice you give a potential client. So say someone gets a reckless driving charge. Your going to say you should not have been driving reckless man up and admit that you were driving recklessly and pay your fine Without knowing the particular set of circumstances this is the judgmental advice you give. You should be a prosecutor because you have no business giving this kind of advice without knowing all the facts involved. But thanks for that one sided post. I guess you work for associations but I am assuming to know something without all the facts.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics