I am concerned about being sued and protecting my house.

Asked about 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

Will putting the house in a trust prevent me from losing it?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 1

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can put your house in a trust, but that just makes it more difficult for the creditor, it doesn't necessarily stop them.

    If there is a judgment against you, the creditor can ask you to appear for a "Citation to Discover Assets" at which time you would be sworn to testify. So let's say you appear for the Citation hearing. You are asked the question - "Have you owned any real estate in the past two years?" Since you would be answering under oath, you would have to say "Yes", and then they can get into how you owned the property and what happened to it. If you say "I transferred it into a Land Trust", and presumably you are a beneficiary under the Trust, they could then get a lien against the beneficial interest and force the sale of the interest. If you try to transfer the beneficial interest to someone else, that would be considered a "fraudulent conveyance" and the transaction could just be undone. There may be some other options available to you, but you need to be talking to an attorney who understand "asset protection".

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The law may vary depending on the state in which you reside. It is intended only to give some direction in which to seek assistance

One or more answers have been taken down.
Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now