I am canadian and was married to a U.S. citizen for two years.

Asked about 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

My wife has filed for divorce. Can I apply for adjustment of status and remain in the U.S.?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Not if you are not already a conditional permanent resident.

2. Andrew Marino Bramante

3

Answered . You may be a little late. If you are already a "conditional permanent resident", you can file an I-751 Petition to remove the conditions of your residency and prove that the marriage was bona fide. If you are not a CPR already, I see no way to adjust your status based on your marriage - unless you suffered extreme abuse from your wife and can prove it.

3. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

2

Answered . Only through VAWA 360.

JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712
    jp@sarmientoimmigration.com
    www.sarmientoimmigration.com

4. Lalita Haran

3

Answered . At times you can but not always. It all depends upon your specific situation and so please consult n experienced immigration attorney.