Skip to main content

I am Canadian .Want to live (not work at all) in USA and send my two kids under 16 to private school in USA. Is this possible?

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

We reside permanently in Caribbean but are Canadian citizens and non resident Canadians. . My husband would continue to live and work in Caribbean and I would move to USA with our children so they could go to an accredited eligible private school (middle through to high school). We can show adequate financial means to support myself and the children while they are going to school in the USA. I would not be earning any form of income in the USA. As the mother of minor children attending school in the USA is there a visa for which I would qualify? We do not want to send our children to boarding school.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    A parent can be admitted to the U.S. as a B-2 visitor for pleasure to accompany a minor child on an extended visa (in this case an F-1 student). In this case is is necessary to establish that all parties involved have a foreign residence that they have no intention of abandoning and that the parent has sufficient resources to support the family as employment is prohibited. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case in detail and provide appropriate advice on how best to proceed.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

  2. Attorney Devore has put forth a good plan. As well, if you have the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree and can obtain employment, you may qualify for an H-1B work visa which would provide you work authorization for that job and a dual intent status instead of a B visa (which is temporary in nature). The H would allow you to potentially and eventually immigrate through your employment if you so chose.

  3. I agree with Mr. Devore, it isn't easy ... but it is possible. And ... it will be very, very expensive.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics