I am breaking up with boyfriend.My daughter lives with us.He'll sue me for $ because he paid half of the livingcost. Will he win

Brooklyn, NY |

I am breaking up with boyfriend.My 13 year old daughter lives with us.He siad he'll sue me for $ because he paid half of the living cost. My daughter and I used to live in a small one bedroom apt. We have to move to a 4 bedroom house because he has lots of stuff. We both agree to pay half of the living cost. But now he said he should have only paid 1/3 and he will sue me for the extra $ he paid. Will he win?

No, he will not win, unless you have a written agreement that outlines what you obligations were and what his were. Absent that agreement, he will not prevail.

Thank you so much

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

Your welcome. Don't let him bully you!

Do you have any written lease or agreement about finances or who pays what or reimburses anyone for what? If not (and most people don't have such agreements with a bf or gf), he's going to have a hard time suing you.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Thank you so much

If you are not married and do not have a domestic partnership agreement, he is unlikely to win. Is his name on the lease? Did you buy the house together? Is there an order of custody? ...child support?

Thank you