I am bennificiary of my grandmother pension how long does it take before being contacted

Philadelphia, PA |

My granmother passed February 15,2011 I know it is usually a process but I am responsible for taking care of her son who is unable to take care of himself. I am not finiancially stable to take care of anyone else. Will it take long to be contacted so that maybe i would be able to help my uncle out a little more. She did not leave a will and her sister has been in charge of everything so far.

You should contact the pension company directly yourself and not wait to hear from them. Generally the executor would notify them to stop payments to her. Know that you will need a death certificate to file a claim for any benefits.

NOTE: Mr. Fischer is an attorney licensed to practice in Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 610-269-0900 Ext 2 or jgf@vfllaw.com. This answer was prepared for educational purposes only. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. Frequently the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that if known could significantly change the response.
The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Wills and estates topics