I am being wrongly accused of being a drug dealer by a bartender and I want these lies to stop! What are my options?

Massapequa Park, NY |

I have been a loyal and regular customer since 1999. Meanwhile there are drug dealers in the bar and they are free from harassment. It's embarrassing when I go there with my girlfriend. My employer sometimes visits this establishment and it could affect my job as well. I am innocent and it's frustrating.

How are you being accused? Does the bartender call the police? If so, there is not much you can do to stop him. Does the bartender make statements to other people? If so, you can sue the bartender, and perhaps the bar, for defemation per se. Two issues are whether there are large enough damages (or any real damages) making it worth while to sue and whether there are assets to collect from.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The bartender announces it to other people.

Is the bartender the owner? If not then try talking to the owner and tell them what is going on and state that you can just start going somewhere else if it does not stop. Stress how long you have been a regular customer.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Personal injury