I am being wrongly accused of being a drug dealer by a bartender and I want these lies to stop! What are my options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Massapequa Park, NY

I have been a loyal and regular customer since 1999. Meanwhile there are drug dealers in the bar and they are free from harassment. It's embarrassing when I go there with my girlfriend. My employer sometimes visits this establishment and it could affect my job as well. I am innocent and it's frustrating.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . How are you being accused? Does the bartender call the police? If so, there is not much you can do to stop him. Does the bartender make statements to other people? If so, you can sue the bartender, and perhaps the bar, for defemation per se. Two issues are whether there are large enough damages (or any real damages) making it worth while to sue and whether there are assets to collect from.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Is the bartender the owner? If not then try talking to the owner and tell them what is going on and state that you can just start going somewhere else if it does not stop. Stress how long you have been a regular customer.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,841 answers this week

3,169 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,841 answers this week

3,169 attorneys answering