I am being told that my name has come up in a criminal drug investigation. what do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sun City, AZ

someone left me a voice mail on my cell phone 2 days ago saying he was a federal agent and that if I didn't call him back a warrant would be issued for my arrest. what should I do?

1. Craig S Orent

Pro

7

Answered . Don't talk with him or ANY law enforcement agents. Contact and retain a qualified criminal defense attorney immediately for him/her to do the communication and work for you. Be careful, and don't talk to anyone other than a lawyer.

2. Steven W Zachary

6

Answered . If it is a federal investigator it is a serious crime. You need to hire an attorney, have the attoreny call the agent and find out was is the issue. You have a right to remain silent and you should exercise that until advised otherwise by an attorney. Hire an attorney.

3. Howard A Snader

5

Answered . You should not speak with any law enforcement officer without first discussing the matter with counsel. Any criminal prosecution means that you are facing prison. Anytime you speak with police, anything can be used against you. There are no safe answers. Police take things out of context or twist things around. Don't take chances. Consult with experienced counsel immediately.

4. Wendy B Mendelson

3

Answered . Whenever I hear of this type of thing happening, I always hope that people exercise their "right to remain silent." We have all heard this phrase, but in your situation, it is absolutely necessary. This is the time that you should be calling attorneys to assist you in this matter. After you hire an attorney for something like this, they will do the heavy lifting for you. They can speak directly with the federal agent who called you and be there with you if you decide to speak with the authorities to guide you through the process.
    Definitely call an exeperinced attorney that can help you through this. Don't ignore it because it won't go away on its own.

5. Paul E Knost

2

Answered . Yes, the phone call trick. They do that to get you talking, while they are recording, and they will not read you Miranda rights because you are not in custody or being detained.

Please take the advice that my colleages gave you. Exercise your right to remain silent and right to a lawyer.