I am being told that my name has come up in a criminal drug investigation. what do I do?

Sun City, AZ |

someone left me a voice mail on my cell phone 2 days ago saying he was a federal agent and that if I didn't call him back a warrant would be issued for my arrest. what should I do?

If it is a federal investigator it is a serious crime. You need to hire an attorney, have the attoreny call the agent and find out was is the issue. You have a right to remain silent and you should exercise that until advised otherwise by an attorney. Hire an attorney.

Don't talk with him or ANY law enforcement agents. Contact and retain a qualified criminal defense attorney immediately for him/her to do the communication and work for you. Be careful, and don't talk to anyone other than a lawyer.

does this make me look like I am guilty of something by retaining an attorney?

Craig S Orent

Craig S Orent

Absolutely not - and even if it did, so what as that could be no worse than talking to an agent who could then use your words (no matter how innocent) agains you. It's done all the time, and the agents understand that.

You should not speak with any law enforcement officer without first discussing the matter with counsel. Any criminal prosecution means that you are facing prison. Anytime you speak with police, anything can be used against you. There are no safe answers. Police take things out of context or twist things around. Don't take chances. Consult with experienced counsel immediately.

DISCLAIMER THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. The answer given above serves an educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation this website is not intended to provide anyone specific legal advice for their specific issue. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. The answer provided does not substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction who has reviewed all discovery and an opportunity to discuss the issues specific to the case with the client. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications change frequently and may vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales.Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual specific legal circumstances involving one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue.

Whenever I hear of this type of thing happening, I always hope that people exercise their "right to remain silent." We have all heard this phrase, but in your situation, it is absolutely necessary. This is the time that you should be calling attorneys to assist you in this matter. After you hire an attorney for something like this, they will do the heavy lifting for you. They can speak directly with the federal agent who called you and be there with you if you decide to speak with the authorities to guide you through the process.
Definitely call an exeperinced attorney that can help you through this. Don't ignore it because it won't go away on its own.

Yes, the phone call trick. They do that to get you talking, while they are recording, and they will not read you Miranda rights because you are not in custody or being detained.

Please take the advice that my colleages gave you. Exercise your right to remain silent and right to a lawyer.

NONE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS MEANT AS, NOR INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THE LAW IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS BLOG CAN BECOME OUT-DATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL ISSUE AND NEED LEGAL ADVICE, CALL 623-936-1901 FOR A CONFIDENTIAL LEGAL CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY.