I am being told that due to my auto accident resulting in several injures I must drop out of school. Will the man at fault pay ?

Sacramento, CA |

Will the man that hit me and totaled my car pay for my tuition if I drop out of school due to this accident?

1. Yes!!!!----if there is enough insurance to cover him. This is an item of "economic" damages.

2. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. if it can be shown that the you had to drop out of school because of the injuries that you suffered due to the accident caused by this man, resulting in you losing your tuition money, then you would have a good chance of getting him to pay for those damages (i.e., that lose). Anyway, assuming that you have already reported the accident to your insurance company, you really need to consult with & hire a personal injury attorney to protect your rights and make sure that you get the compensation that you deserve. And,

3. The tuition and any job loss you sustain as a result, are valid damage items in your personal injury case. There are many more damage items you are entitled to as well. You should consult with a personal injury attorney immediately to determine what your rights are and get direction on how to go about obtaining them and possibly for representation. Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis which means there is no up front costs to you. Good luck to you!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. When someone is injured by the fault of another, all of the damages suffered should be recoverable... even if such damages are special to that person... as in lost tuition from having to drop out of school due to injury from the accident... that said, actually recovering is a separate matter. While some people are considerate enough to maintain a nice amount of insurance coverage on their car just in case they hurt someone, California only requires a bare, skimpy, not nearly enough, crumby amount - that is, $15,000/$30,000. Such a paltry sum is barely enough to cover an ambulance ride to the ER for some basic imaging studies, let alone cover lost tuition.

That said, the injured person should hire an attorney and let the attorney worry about who to sue and for how much... the injured person should only have to worry about getting better... the attorney can worry about everything else.

Fortunately, most of us personal injury types offer free consultations and take such cases on contingency, so there is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

5. Get a qualified personal injury in your community to handle this damage and all others.

6. It depends. Contact a local attorney for a free consultation.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com