I am being sued over a credit card. Can I file bankruptcy.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lindale, TX

I have been in debt negotiations for over 4 years this was my last card on my program. I also have some doctors bills, repossession of a ATV side by side in my husband and my name, and he has some credit cards an no job. Which is why I got into so much debt. I'm also planing to file for divorce since my husband want work. I can't afford to pay this law suit. I owe $9080 plus fees $7200 on ATV plus doctor bills and other cards

1. Gary Alan Armstrong

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, bankruptcy may be an option. And, it may not be necessary. Bankruptcy can be a great way to get a fresh start and rebuild your financial life. And, it can have its burdens. I, too, suggest that you go see an experienced bankruptcy attorney near you to discuss your options.

2. Andrew Davis Oostdyk

2

Answered . Yes, Bankruptcy may be a viable option for you. I suggest that you contact a competent Bankruptcy Attorney in your area for a consultation. I also suggest that you see an Attorney before you file for divorce, it may be in your best interests to file for bankruptcy before the divorce.

3. Lucy Magness Hebron

1

Answered . Sorry to hear about your situation. Can you file bankruptcy and should you file are questions that a bankruptcy attorney could answer for you after a full review of all of your debts (including this current collection lawsuit), your assets, your income and expenses.
    Most bankruptcy attorneys here in the East Texas area will not charge you for a consultation to see whether bankruptcy is a good option for you, and if so, which type of bankruptcy you might need (chapter 7 liquidation or a chapter 13 repayment plan bankruptcy). The fact that you are thinking about a divorce will impact a bankruptcy, too, so you should find out more about your options as soon as possible.

This answer is for informational purposes only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Paula Brown Sinclair

2

Answered . Yes, if you don't have a too-recent prior bankruptcy discharge, you almost certainly CAN file now. Whether filing would meet your needs is a different question, and really the one you need to be asking. Bankruptcy is a complex process. Debts are discharged, but there can be very unwelcome adverse consequences. Adding divorce to the equation increases the chances that filing will self-inflict irrevocable injury. With a judgment imminently pending, you should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney without delay. If you do not know such a lawyer, use the attorney-finder at www.nacba.org.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.