I am being sued for more than my auto insurance limits. I have litte money and few assets. Can I be sued for more than I have?

Asked over 5 years ago - Boise, ID

I was at fault in a “failure to yield” car accident and the other person involved incurred serious back injuries. My insurance limit is $300,000, which they are paying, but I am being sued for another $300,000 personally. What can they sue me for if I have very little money, my business with no assets except a truck, and only my home which I owe as much as it’s worth? Will I have to sell off all my assets? What are my options?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephen Eugene Blackburn

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Your insurance company has a duty to defend and indemnify. What usually happens in an excess policy limits situation is that the insurance company will write you a letter explaining that Plaintiff's counsel has demanded "x" and that is in excess of the policy limits. Accordingly, they will advise you to seek your own counsel to advise you as to your exposure for damages beyond the policy limit.

    Few Plaintiff's lawyers will actually go through the necessary steps to obtain a judgment in excess of the policy limits unless they have found you have substantial assets from which they can collect.

    Demand in writing that your insurance company both defend and indemnify per the express insurance contract, and then be sure to cooperate with your insurance company so they don't have any excuse to hang you out to dry.

    Regarding your potential exposure in excess of the policy limit, I'd contact private counsel and ask them about an affidavit of assets, which you could then submit to Plaintiff's counsel through your insurance company lawyer to try and dissuade them from pursuing judgment against you.

  2. Nigel Stephen Malden

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Something does not sound right. Normally, the insurance company does not offer to pay policy limits unless the plaintiff is giving its insured (you) a full release of claims. Why pay money if it does not settle the case and the insurance carrier still has to pay for your defense? You need to consult with a local attorney about your personal exposure and the threat to assets.

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I suggest that you pay for a consultation with a local civil defense attorney who usually handles automobile defense work. Bring your automobile liability insurance policy to the conference and all other correspondence you have received from your insurance company and ask for the attorney's advice on how to proceed. Your policy may contain language that allows them to tender the policy limit and forgo further defense for you. You need to find out where you stand.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

  4. S Edmond ElDabe

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You need an auto accident defense lawyer. Also be firm with our insurance company and make sure they defend you.

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Tickets for failure to yield

A failure to yield ticket is given for not yielding to other vehicles at a yield sign, for not yielding when merging, or for running a yellow light.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,261 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,261 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering