Skip to main content

I am being sued for credit card debt

Fort Bragg, CA |

i just got served with papers for a past due credit card account that i owe $12,000.00 on. I tried to call their attorney to settle for 30% but the lawyer said he doesnt think they will take it and that we should pay the whole thing. I just want to know what to do. What are our rights?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. There is a lot of information missing from your posting. Is the debt still owed by the original creditor, or are you up against a junk debt buyer? Did you go delinquent on it long enough ago that the statute of limitations might have expired prior to the creditor filing suit?

    In general, you want to determine whether you have any defenses, and if you do have defenses you want to assert them in court. I notice that you are in Fort Bragg. If you are military, the Serviceperson's Civil Relief Act may have an impact on the case as well.

  2. You need to see an experienced consumer attorney immediately. Your attorney will file an Answer with the Court no later than 30 days after being served with the court papers.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics