I am being sued for an accident and I believe there is contributory negligence on the plaintiff's part. So I plan to fight it.

Quincy, IL |

My Insurance is offering money but the plaintiff wants more. If I lose and file bankruptcy what happens to the money my insurance was offering? Does it go to a trust and get divided among my debtors or does it still all go to the plaintiff?

1. Your insurance coverage will not go to anyone but the plaintiff. That is what you bought it for -- liability coverage.

Cooperate with your assigned insurance defense counsel. You also need to know that it is fraudulent to "go bankrupt" merely to avoid a valid civil tort judgment against you.

Your situation is too involved for an online answer. Cooperate with your defense counsel.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.