I am being sued for a rear end accident that happened Oct. 22, 2008. Policy limits have been reached. They are wanting $2.5 mil

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake City, FL

A 3 year old girl was in the back seat and due to her injuries that is where the 2.5 million comes in. She spent a week in the hospital due to bleeding on her brain. We have been told she has some minor weakness on her right side but is improving everyday. She is on level in school. The attorney that was assigned to me from Geico has asked me to sign a final judgment as the policy limits of 25,000/50,000 have been reached. Shoud I do this? Their intent is to go after Geico then for bad faith in regards to an issue with a check that was issued because they know that I don't have the money. Help! I feel that they can take everything my wife and I have worked for. We don't have much, but need our vehicles to get to work everydary and a roof over our head.

1. Charles B. Upton II

12

Answered . You need your own lawyer. This a serious situation.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

11

Answered . You absolutely need to hire a private lawyer immediately!

I don't understand what you mean by your being asked to "sign a final judgment." Maybe you mean an assignment of your right to a bad faith action against GEICO? But that would not come from GEICO's lawyer that would come from the injured party's lawyer.

The goal of course, is to assign whatever rights you might have against GEICO in return for a release of any personal liability that you might have to the injured person. With the claim that large, you also need to consider bankruptcy.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise.

Pro

12

Answered . I am glad to hear that the little girl is improving.

Never sign anything without having a private attorney.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Michael Shemtoub

9

Answered . NO do not agree to those terms! You need a private attorney. It is not in your best interest to negotiate with insurance companies. In this case it could be the worse mistake you ever made.
    You need to make an appointment Monday with your own attorney. AVVO can help find one in your area that offers free consultations.
    Good Luck
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

6

Answered . I suggest that you retain your own personal counsel to review this entire matter and all documents that you are being asked to sign. Expect to pay for the attorney's time.In the future,you obviously need to carry much more than the bare bones insurance limits you are currently operating under.I suggest you not sign any documents until you have independent legal counsel.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.