I am being sued for a car accident two years ago, but it is past the 2 year mark.

Asked over 1 year ago - Arcadia, CA

Can they sue me for both personal injury and property damage?

1. Matthew Paul Krupnick

7

Answered . In California, the statute of limitations for personal injuries and property damage are not the same. For injuries, pain and suffering, loss of income, medical bills, and other bills or expenses as a result of an incident is two years. For property damage, like the cost of repairing your vehicle for example, is longer. I believe it is 3 years for property damage. It is at least three, not sure about 4. Point is it sounds like the statute is blown for everything but property damage, depending on how long ago it happened.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

5

Answered . They can sue you but you have defenses that you can raise. if you had insurance at the time of the accident, then the insurance company will defend you. Insurance companies however have requirements of notice of accidents by their insured. i hope you notified your insurance company two years ago when the accident occurred.. Best of luck.

Pro

6

Answered . Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve. If they blew the statute of limitations, your insurance company will raise that defense.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Logan Lambert Quirk

1

Answered . The short answer is yes, so long as they claimant filed suit before the appropriate statute of limitations

Make sure you contact your auto insurance carrier you had at the time of the accident. They should be aware of any impending lawsuit.