I am being sued for the for the full amount on medical bills after a verbal agreement made with ins and hospital what can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Insurance company on my behalf negotiated and adjusted rate with hospital,( I have confirmation via voicemail) I was told for months that a new statement was being sent out. Hospital says they were waiting on Insurance companies new EOB, now Insurance company will not send new adjusted amount EOB and hospital will not honor negotiated price. I have been sent to collections and now I was served for the full amount owed.

1. George G. Trachtman

Answered . I only have limited information regarding the matter. Not sure if insurance denied coverage and I am not sure why. Start by contacting your insurance and getting a copy of the last EOB. Appeal the EOB with the insurance company. There are internal appeal procedures. Keep that voicemail. There may be an issue with bad faith by the insurance company if they agreed to a certain payment and then refused to pay it or if they are acting in bad faith. However, take the necessary appeal steps. Sometimes I find that when a matter is internally appealed, the issue is resolved. If the hospital sues, you can also bring in your insurance company as a party and bring a bad faith action against your insurance company (assuming they did act in bad faith).

Pro

2

Answered . Have a local lawyer in your city negotiate the amount down, and get you on a payment plan you can live with.

3. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

Answered . Most such debt can be successfully negotiated.

And for most people, such debt is large enough to at least seriously consider bankruptcy (which I've added to the question topics).

My office handles both solutions, and can usually get you an appointment in a day or so.