I am being sued for the for the full amount on medical bills after a verbal agreement made with ins and hospital what can I do?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Insurance company on my behalf negotiated and adjusted rate with hospital,( I have confirmation via voicemail) I was told for months that a new statement was being sent out. Hospital says they were waiting on Insurance companies new EOB, now Insurance company will not send new adjusted amount EOB and hospital will not honor negotiated price. I have been sent to collections and now I was served for the full amount owed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Answered . I only have limited information regarding the matter. Not sure if insurance denied coverage and I am not sure why. Start by contacting your insurance and getting a copy of the last EOB. Appeal the EOB with the insurance company. There are internal appeal procedures. Keep that voicemail. There may be an issue with bad faith by the insurance company if they agreed to a certain payment and then refused to pay it or if they are acting in bad faith. However, take the necessary appeal steps. Sometimes I find that when a matter is internally appealed, the issue is resolved. If the hospital sues, you can also bring in your insurance company as a party and bring a bad faith action against your insurance company (assuming they did act in bad faith).

    The answer above is only based upon the limited information provided. The answer is limited and my review is... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have a local lawyer in your city negotiate the amount down, and get you on a payment plan you can live with.

  3. Answered . Most such debt can be successfully negotiated.

    And for most people, such debt is large enough to at least seriously consider bankruptcy (which I've added to the question topics).

    My office handles both solutions, and can usually get you an appointment in a day or so.

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,931 answers this week

3,899 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,931 answers this week

3,899 attorneys answering