I am being sued by unifund for a old credit card debt of 1500+ interest etc. I was given a summon a few days ago. I don't know

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond, CA

What to do. Do I answer back? What are the proper steps?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

Answered . In the event you absolutely cannot afford an attorney to defend you, you can represent yourself "in pro per". You would file either an Answer or a General Denial, and pay the first appearance filing fee.

The form for the Answer is (Judicial Council Form PLD-C-010):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pldc010.pdf

The form for the General Denial is (Judicial Council Form PLD-050):

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf

The answer does not need to be notarized.

File the original Answer and submit one copy to be "conformed" to the court clerk. Have another copy mailed to the plaintiff's counsel. Someone other than yourself should sign the Proof of Service.

2. Robert Harlan Stempler

5

Answered . Before you need to know the "steps" to litigate, I'd recommend you first explore your options, including discussing this with an experienced debt collection defense attorney, who will elaborate on your particular situation. The first video on the home page of my web site reviews your options and on my law blog I have several postings for DIY debt collection defense.

Have you seen if you can settle this debt or spoken with a debt collection consumer attorney, yet? I urge you not to frustrate yourself trying to go up against a law firm that can get a judgment against you, after you have filed your responsive papers in court. I have linked to a particular blog on your next steps.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    www.StopCollectionLawsuits.com
    www.facebook.com/SoCalConsumerLawyer
    Twitter: @RStempler

3. Malosack Berjis

5

Answered . Just to add one more thing to Mr. Chen's response, in the event you cannot afford to pay the first appearance fee, you can try to get a fee waiver, if you qualify. The link below is from the California Courts website and explains fee waivers. Best of luck to you.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

4

Answered . If you dont file a proper answer w/in the reqd timeframe, they will automatically get a judgment against you for the amount they are suing for, plus costs and atty fees. if the debt is old, it may be beyond the statute of limitations, and you may have a defense. You should review this with a local debt defense atty right away.

5. Crosby Scott Connolly

3

Answered . You could have defenses. Feel free to contact our offices for a free consultation on your rights - 619 233 7770.