I am being sued by Midland Funding LLC, what do I do?

Carlisle, PA |

Capital One is the original creditor. Midland is suing me for over $2800. I have chosen to defend myself in court; however, I have no idea what I am doing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Make them prove that they have a right to collect. They need to be able to show that they purchased the debt from Capital One. Showing up is half the battle. Failure to show up means a default judgment.

Having counsel gives you a better chance that they dismiss the case.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

2. If you have no idea what you are doing, then you are probably not in a position to defend yourself well.

3. Trying to beat the Phillies in baseball is a far easier task than defending yourself.

However, understand baseball's infield fly rule and how it applies to your case. With every case, I think about the infield fly rule. I love that rule. It is trouble for anyone ignoring the rules of the game. It is the law of strict liability for a batter poppin' up with runners on base. Watch out infielders, you didn’t find a loophole in your favor for dropping the ball just because you caught a break and the batter is automatically out. That is because of my favorite part: the batter's out, but the runners advance if they are willing to assume the risk and pay attention to the base coaches counseling them. That's the way life is; you choose when to advance, based on your abilities, and counsel... or not, but you’d better have someone who knows the rules on your side.

Disclaimer: Please note you should not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice. It is for general informational purposes only. Legal advice can only come from a qualified attorney after having had an opportunity to become familiar with all of the fact specific circumstances of a particular legal matter, and then to apply or research the relevant law.