I am being sued by a nursing home along with my uncle for 32,000. Can I get my name off the lawsuit.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lindenhurst, NY

The nursing home told me they would no discharge him without me signing him out. When I went their to sign they handed me a paper that said that would agree to make payments to them until I get power of attorney. I only signed it because they said I have to for him to be released. I did not fully understand what i signed and now they are suing me and my uncle. I also was disputing the bill because medicare will pay 100 days and they only got medicare for him for 30 days. he was turned down for Medicaid and they saw he has bank accounts. can i ask the judge to just sue my uncle?

1. Scott Evan Gross

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . They do this all the time. You have to hire an attorney to file a summary judgment motion and implead any other responsible party.

Scott Gross
    516-662-7995
    Scottgrosslaw.com

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

1

Answered . No good deed goes unpunished. If your uncle was turned down for medicare, it may mean he has some assets, and defending this lawsuit for both of you will further erode those assets perhaps making him medicare eligible. You need an attorney to delay this, until you can get the nursing home and medicare on board.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . You are going to need an attorney. The court will hold you responsible for what you signed--not understanding that you were signing is NOT a strong defene unless you have some mental incapacity.

4. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

2

1

Answered . This is a complicated situation that will require a lawyer. You may have several legal defenses to the document you signed. Don't try to do this on your own.

5. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

1

1

Answered . There is a statute that prohibits this type of behavior on admission, I have never seen it on discharge. I would hire an attorney immediately to contest the documents you signed.