Skip to main content

I am being sued and i have no money or assets of any kind other than my car.

Peoria, AZ |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

this person was in a car accident two years ago, in which i was found at fault. they have had back surgery in excess of the ins. policy limits. if this person wins, what can they get? i have no money, i make 10.00 an hour. i have a car which if this happens i plan to sell to a family member. can they garnish my wages or something? i really dont know what they could get from me i have NO ASSETS.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You appear to be a "Judgment Proof Defendant", because you have no assets that can be attached. The Attorney for the victim has likely completed due diligence and determined that you have no assets to attach or lien. However, this does not prohibit an attachment or garnishment of your future wages.

As the operator of the vehicle you are liable for any damages or injury that you cause to persons or property during the course of operating a motor vehicle. You could be held liable for any amount awarded over the policy limits if the matter is litigated. The victim's Attorney could seek contribution from you, or in the alternative attach/garnish future wages.

Good Luck.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Response is for informational purposes only. Time is of the essence. Do not delay. See a lawyer immediately.


As you had insurance and are obviously being represented by the insurance company's defense attorney appointed to represent you, it would not be appropriate for attorneys here on to give you specific legal advice as to your situation.

The attorney being paid for you by the insurance company is your attorney and he is obligated to answer your questions. You should direct your questions and concerns to your attorney. He is being paid good money to provide you with sound legal advice.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer