I am being sued, and am wondering what options do I have?

Missouri City, TX |

I was in an auto accident in 2009 where I was hit by a drunk driver. I was turning left across traffic into a fast food resteraunt. The passenger in my car was killed in the accident. It was found out that the driver that hit me was drunk. My passengers parents are suing the bar the guy left before the accident. The bar in turn is suing me saying I was neglegent and failed to yield to oncoming traffic before making the turn. Key to this is the guy was driving with no headlights on. The accident happened about 2:30 a.m. I'm wondering my options and am worried about getting a judgement against me, and how that will affect me financially. I don't own any property and basically live paycheck to paycheck.

1. Turn this over to your auto insurer ASAP and let them handle it for you. They will assign an attorney to handle the matter for you.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

2. If you had auto insurance at the time of the collision, then I hope you notified them of the collision. You have a duty to immediately contact your insurance company and send them a copy of the lawsuit so they can hire an attorney for you to file an "answer" to the lawsuit to make sure you do not default in answering the lawsuit, which can result in a default judgment. If you did not have insurance you will have to retain and pay for your own attorney.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

3. I am not in your State. If you had insurance your insurance carrier should be stepping in to defend you and providing you with counsel. You should talk in detail about your concerns to your insurance carrier and your attorneys. If the insurance carrier believes that your policy limits are not sufficient and you will be exposed personally they will inform you of such a fact (and are obligated to). Regardless of the facts, when there is a death, and you are the left turn driver, there is always going to be an arguement about liability. I am suprised you were not the first person sued by the family (unless your insurance carrier already settle out).

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

4. You should turn this entire matter over to your automobile liability insurance carrier you had at the time of this collision. Your carrier has the duty to investigate, defend you and indemnify you if necessary. That is why you pay them a premium.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.