I am being subpoenaed in a criminal case to testify against my husband. How can I use my 5th amendment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oxnard, CA

I was not the victim..

1. Erin Marie Stratte

8

Answered . California Evidence Code sections 970-973 are applicable here. A married person generally has the privilege not to testify against other spouse, however there are numerous exceptions to the privilege including that involving a crime against a third person. You may be required to testify. Without knowing more about the specifics of your situation it is uncertain whether you would be allowed to raise this privilege and be excused from your obligation to testify. The 5th Amendment is a testimonial privilege against self incrimination. Unless you were a participant that likely would not apply to your situation.

2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

8

Answered . If this is a Domestic Battery case, you are covered by Marsy's Law. Under Marsy's Law, you cannot be jailed for refusing to testify, however the Judge can find you in contempt and force you to pay a fine.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Practicing throughout Southern California
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. William Peter Daley

7

1

Answered . Your Fifth Amendment privilege comes into play when your testimony might incriminate you in a crime. There is an additional privilege called the marital privilege, that you might be able to exercise in regards to testify against your spouse. I would speak with your husband's attorney and he should be able to get this worked out for you. Good luck with the situation.

www.lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

1

Answered . The 5th Amendment privilege you referenced relates to the right an accused party has to remain silent. You are not an accused party and thus, you do not have that right. Now, if you are concerned about being placed in a situation where you may make incriminating responses, that is a different matter. Sit down with a local criminal defense attorney and discuss your concerns.

DD

5. Ron S Bamieh

Pro

5

Answered . Based on how you presented your question it appears you do not have the right to claim the 5th. Additionally no privilege exists in a criminal case, where you are the alleged victim and your husband is the defendant, for you not to testify. You can refuse and in that case the court can hold you in contempt and fine you, and the fines depending on the judge can be on every question you refuse to answer. You need to consult with a lawyer to really go through your options.

6. James Regan

Pro

2

Answered . You should get the help of your own local lawyer.

There is no confidentiality online. Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The likelihood of a positive outcome is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8wtv

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.