Skip to main content

I am being investigated by a US attorney from New Jersey. I am aTexas resident. If I am charged and the case goes to trial,

El Paso, TX |

Where will the trial be held? new Jersey or Texas where I live?

Attorney Answers 2


Mr. Hall is correct. The proper jurisdiction and venue could be New Jersey. In fact, it is unlikely that an AUSA would initiate an investigation into somebody he can't charge in his district. If they felt it was helpful to their case, though, they could transfer part of it to Texas, depending on the evidence involved.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Depends on the facts. In a conspiracy case, it can be any district where an overt act occurred. Likely NJ because USAO there is investigating.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics