I am being investgated for food stamp fraud and I don't know what to do?

Roanoke, VA |

The fruad investogator told me that I if I owe more that 5000 then I could face felony charges.

1. Use the "Find a Lawyer" tab above - as soon as possible.

The answer(s) herein do not constitute the establishment of an attorney/client relationship, nor are they intended to constitute the practice of law in any State. The answer(s) are based on extremely limited information provided by the submitter and are for general information purposes only. The original submitter, and those viewing these answer(s) are highly encouraged to seek out and engage legal counsel in their jurisdiction to review the entire matter.

2. Here's some free legal advice....STOP talking to the investigator! In case you don't understand his role in the criminal process, he is collecting evidence to charge and convict you of a felony. He is not your friend; he is not trying to help you.

Contact an attorney in your area immediately.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

3. Did this supposed fraud happen in Virginia or in some other state? You will need a lawyer from the state in which the alleged fraud occurred. Do not think you can talk yourself out of this. Hire a lawyer. Do not think that you can get information about the charges by being nice and giving information. Hire a lawyer, or once charges are filed ask the Judge to appoint indigent council.

4. Food stamp fraud is a prosecuted crime where individuals receive food stamps but are not eligible due to information or inaccuracies in the application process. This can be a serious charge and is based upon the amount of money that you received that you were ineligible to receive. Because this is a criminal charge, any statements that you make would potentially be admissible in a criminal trial. You face the possibility of serious consequences.