Skip to main content

I am being garnished How do I get out of this?

Tucson, AZ |

credit card opened 2002.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Filing bankruptcy, quitting your job, earning less than min wage x30 hours a week, or paying off the debt will stop the garnishment. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with it, since the lawsuit and the chance to contest the debt has come and gone.
    You can go to court and ask the amount being garnished be reduced from 25% to 15% if you can show how it is a hardship: many judges will do that.
    One of the documents served on you at the start of garnishment is a "Request for Hearing." Fill it out, go to court and ask for the garnishment to be reduced, and see what the judge says.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics