I am being falsely accused of theft that happened may 6th but on notice to appear they put on or about june 6th what can i do??

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

My boss didn't fire me till a month later and he put on termination paper that he was uncomfortable with me working there not for theft. I filed unemployement and funny now i get served with papers for theft.. was wondering what can i do

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patrick Michael Lewis


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First things first; you need the help of a good criminal defense lawyer. Do not talk about the facts or allegations until you have spoke with your lawyer. The date may or may not turn into a viable defense. Case law in general about such things is not very good for defense.

    Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. www.TheKansasDefender.com This... more
  2. James Donald Garrett

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It sure sounds like a retaliatory action by your former boss. Talk to a criminal lawyer immediately and do not speak to the police or anyone from your former employment.

    I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

    Good luck.

    Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more
  3. Jess William Hoeme

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unfortunately the prosecutor can easily fix the mistake by amending the complaint/citation. In Wichita the municipal court is unfortunately informal and navigating these waters can be pretty difficult. If you're innocent then you're definitely going to want help in the City of Wichita.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,917 answers this week

2,869 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,917 answers this week

2,869 attorneys answering