Skip to main content

I am being discharged from employment with a CA based technology company.

San Francisco, CA |

I have been given a severance agreement to sign and to return to the company if I want to be paid. I do not believe that this severance is fair and would like to speak with an attorney who can advise me on the direction that I should take with this agreement and the discharge.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. There is a vast army of skilled and experienced employment attorneys in S. F. Call any one or more of them for a fee quote.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. Instead of posting as a question, you may wish to use the "Find a Lawyer" functin of Avvo under employment law.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  3. While employers are not required to pay any severance pay unless they have a policy/practice of doing so, severance agreements are negotiable. If the company pays severance pay, it may not discriminate against employees because of age, race, gender, religion, medical condition, etc. in determining the amount of pay. If you have any legal claims such as unlawful discrimination, failure to pay wages timely, overtime, etc., you may have more leverage in negotiation the amount of severance pay. Contact an employment law attorney to discuss. 949-481-6909.