Skip to main content

I am being charged with unemployment fraud I do not want to go to jail or have a felony charge on my record what to do

Tucson, AZ |

I received a letter from the DES fraud dept that i was over paid and was being investigated. I wrote back that I had made a mistake I would like to make payment arrangements to pay it back. I sent some money to them it was returned to me due to the investigation I wrote several letters and phone calls to set up payments. I just received a court order for early dispositon court of felony charges. I just want to pay them back, I dont want to go to jail or have a felony charge against me what can I do

Attorney Answers 2


Get an attorney right away. Once the case has gone to court, your attorney will be best able to negotiate with the prosecutor. If you have all the money available to pay back the funds, this could help a lot in plea negotiations. A payment schedule does not typically help; a lump sum can.

You also need to discuss what mistake you made with your attorney. And what evidence is out there against you. It is not uncommon in these cases, nowadays, that the People have a big stack of documents from both unemployment and your current employer to document the overlap; your attorney will be able to go over them with you, in private, and help you decide what to do.

DISCLAIMER: This answer to a short question is provided solely for general informational purposes and based on general legal principles and court practice. The laws and practices may differ where you are. This answer does NOT constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


I have handled several matters such as yours in the past 20 years. You must appear for your court appearance. If you can't afford counsel, you will be appointed a public defender. You will be required to repay the monies. The more you can repay at the outset, the more likely you will receive a favorable plea offer. No attorney can guarantee that you will avoid a felony conviction or prevent jail. But an experienced attorney will be able to minimize those risks.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics