Skip to main content

I am being charged with domestic battery. I had one 10 years ago in which I was given probation. What are the likely outcomes.

Peoria, IL |

I have only had the prior domestic charge and they have charged me with a misdemeanor on this one.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


There could be the whole variety. You need to speak to a lawyer and show him/her your specific charges and police report.


Not the place to discuss this matter. We don't have all the facts. Hire a defense attorney immediately.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Please hire a lawyer to help you with this. You should not discuss your case online or even privately with anyone but your attorney. There are a number of possible outcomes, ranging from dismissal of the case to jail time. The facts and circumstances surrounding your case are vital but you should not publish that information here. There are many great lawyers in your area. You can find some by contacting your local bar association or clicking on the Find a Lawyer Link at the top of this page. best wishes.


Not guilty, probation or jail.


Charges could be upgraded to a felony or the charges could be dismissed. You will want an experienced defense attorney in your area to assist you further.

This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.


First, as others have said, do not discuss the specific details of your case or your guilt or innocent on an online public forum. Second, it is hard to speculate what the potential sentence or plea agreement will be without understanding all of the facts and circumstances in the case. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend that you retain a skilled and experience criminal law attorney to represent you. Although many feel that hiring an attorney may be expensive, I assure you a good attorney will make a huge impact on what happens with your case.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer