Skip to main content

I am being charged by a college I have never physically been to. What should I do?

Taunton, MA |

Southern Maine Community College is charging me for classes i never attended because i withdrew from the school after the add/drop period. I have never stepped foot on their campus. What happens if I don't pay? I know I'll never be able to enroll in their classes again unless I pay.Could there be any other consequences? What can I do? I already tried an appeal but they denied it.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    I agree with Mr. Lynch. I only want to add that tuition is dischargeable. If you did not finance this with a student loan, and you are otherwise eligible, you could eliminate the debt by filing a bankruptcy petition.

    The content of this message does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to be relied upon by anyone. It is highly recommended that the reader seek the opinion of a qualified attorney in his or her area for consultation and assistance. There are applicable statute of limitations and other considerations that only a qualified attorney can provide guidance on after being fully informed as to all of the circumstance of your particular case.

  2. The fact that you never set foot on their campus is irrelevant. Their offer of admittance, presumably last Spring, was met by an acceptance of their offer of admittance and, undoubtedly, the terms of their offer. That sounds like a contract, one that you breached. In every contract breach, the non-breaching party has a duty to mitigate their damages. There is much detail left out of your question but your waiting until after the add/drop deadline suggests that you led the college to believe you were coming until the last minute. The problem that creates for you is that they will argue (successfully, I believe) that, by so doing, you eliminated their opportunity to mitigate the damages caused by your breach - like admitting some other applicant off their wait list to take your place. Others may disagree with this analysis but you have a problem that can affect your credit if you don't deal with it, in my judgment. I would contact them and see how much they would take in compromise. If you have a hardship excuse, that might help you, but you need to address it.

    The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Readers should not act upon this without seeking advice from professional advisers.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics